This is a deliciously moist vegan cupcake recipe. It is my go to cupcake and cake recipe. I like to experiment with different flavours adding seasonal fruits, coconut, choc chips or jam to the recipe. I have used diary in the icing – I really cannot go past a good buttercream icing.
Makes approximately 20 cupcakes.
1 1/2 cups milk (almond, oat or rice)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups white spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 1/8 cups fine organic raw sugar
1/2 cup rice bran oil
1 tsp vanilla powder or organic vanilla essence
1/2 tsp coconut essence
(1) Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius. In a medium sized bowl add apple cider vinegar to your chosen milk and whisk until light foam on the surface. Set aside.
(2) Mix sifted flour, sugar, salt, bicarbonate soda and baking soda.
(3) Add oil, vanilla and coconut essence to milk mixture. Whisk until combined.
(4) Add wet mixture to dry mix, using a whisk mix until even with no lumps.
(5) Fill patty pans to 3/4 full and place in oven for 15-20 minutes. Check with a wooden skewer that it comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack.
Now for the fun part of baking, decorating your delicious baked goods.
I used two different types of icing, a buttercream icing for the Easter Egg Cupcake and a lemon frosting for the Easter Bunny Cupcake.
INGREDIENTS FOR ICING
125 grams salted butter
1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
1 Tbsp milk
1-2 tsp natural vanilla essence
natural green food colour
(1) Using an electric mixer, beat butter until pale. Gradually add icing sugar mixture, milk, vanilla essence, beating until evenly combined.
(2) Add green food colour to desired depth of green. I use the head of a toothpick to dip in the colour then beat until colour is evenly distributed in the icing. Keep adding these small amounts and mixing until you reach the perfect colour green.
(3) Using a medium sized drop flower tip icing nozzle starting from the circumference of the cupcake pip the individual ‘flower’ tips. Continue until the whole cupcake is covered in ‘green grass’.
DECORATE with store bought speckled Easter eggs
EASTER BUNNY CUPCAKE
3 Tbsp salted butter
3 cups icing sugar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
(1) Using an electric mixture, cream butter until pale.
(2) Add a third of the icing sugar, beat well.
(3) Add lemon juice, beat well.
4) Add a third of the remaining icing sugar, beat well.
(5) Add salt and remaining icing sugar. Beat until fluffy.
(6) You must ice your cupcakes immediately after making the icing as it sets quickly. Using an icing palette or vintage butter knife ice the top of the cupcake then decorate with candy as per images.
TIP: With any leftover lemon frosting pop it in the fridge and serve with fresh homemade pancakes. If you are a lover of lemon and sugar on your pancakes this is even better. For the perfect fluffy spelt pancake recipe go here.
In all things beautiful,